Friday, December 2, 2011

One of These Things is NOT like the others...

One of these things just doesn't belong.  Can you tell me which thing is not like the other, all before I finish my song.  Love Sesame Street!  I grew up watching it, and when my children were old enough to watch it, I would watch it with them.  Happy memories!!!  Remember the Ladybug Picnic?  Classic!



The reason I thought about that song is because I have been craving Butternut Squash Bisque for YEARS!  Yes, I said years.  I had it at a local restaurant, and they haven't made it since the first time I had it, about 2 years ago, so I finally broke down & made it myself.  Can I tell you that I think if the boiler had been big enough I would have submerged myself in it.  Oh my it was good, and warm, and creamy, and even better as leftovers.  I had it for breakfast & lunch the next day. 





But I thought about the shape of a butternut squash and it reminded me of something else I used to watch with my children...VeggieTales!  Notice my little friend on the back right...I always thought he was a gourd, but he's a butternut squash!!!  Love me some VeggieTales.  :)  Now onto the soup...


 


It's not hard to make, just a little time consuming.  I've never peeled a butternut squash, but I learned a trick that made it so much easier because the skin is very tough.  After you cut off the top & bottom you microwave it for a few minutes to soften the skin & then it slides off like butter.  (It also smells yummy while it's cooking in your microwave!)  Next scoop the membrane out and cut it up into chunks.




As I was cutting the squash up I allowed the onions to cook.  I actually cut-up a fresh onion, and didn't use frozen ones.  Aren't you proud?  You should be, you know how lazy I can be.  If you don't like onions, don't use them.  The next batch of soup I make I think I'll try it without the onion to see what it tastes like.  I'll let you know...







Once the onion is done cooking add in your chicken broth and squash.  Cook until squash is tender.  Simmer it, don't boil it, the squash is fragile. 








Once the squash is done cooking, gently spoon it out and put it in a blender or food processor with a some broth.  Puree the mixture until it is creamy.  If your blender/processor is having a tough time pureeing the mixture, add a little bit more broth.  When it's finished processing, add it back to the liquid in the boiler and add heavy whipping cream and nutmeg. 








And here is the finished product! 
Isn't it beautiful?  And shiny?  And wonderfully delicious?

It's happiness in a bowl.  I think I'm going to have to make a grocery run today for another squash.  This soup makes me happy and warm.  I know my boiler is not pretty for this picture, but I didn't care, because I had a bowl right after I took the picture.  Let me know if you try to it & what you think.

Y'all be blessed beyond measure,
~ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin MOJ to Pinterest

the reason I do what I do

the reason I do what I do
this is us on our family vacation.

Search Measure of Joy

Where the MOJ reader are...

Locations of Site Visitors Do you want your own mapcounter? go to www.maploco.com