Thursday, December 8, 2011

Christmas Comfort Food

I love Christmas comfort food.  There are so many things I cook this time of year that reminds me of my mom & MeMaw.  I wish they were alive so I could show them some of the things I've accomplished as a cook.  I feel close to them in the kitchen.

One of the things my MeMaw made that was mack daddy were her Cheese Straws.  I've tried the ones from the grocery store, and they're ok, but not like homemade.  (they're a little dry, have a kind of funky taste & they're not spicy enough for me...just in case you were wondering)  The good thing about cheese straws is that they are not hard to make.  It takes longer to cook them than anything else.  It's also fun to let your children get involved in the cooking.  Mine usually fight over my cookie press.

Tonight Hoppy was the only one at home for a little while & when I asked him if he wanted to press the cheese straws out, he jumped at the chance.  I love it...he's 17 and still wanting to help in the kitchen.  Makes my heart soar...and laugh...he was holding my cookie press like a gun at one point.  I couldn't snap a picture fast enough to catch him.  Crazy kiddo.

There is NOTHING healthy about cheese straws.  Hence, comfort food.  In the past  I've made them with a gluten free flour, and they're not that bad, a little gritty, but passable.  (add enough butter & cheese to anything and it will be palatable.)   I had fun watching Hop press these out.  We did a small batch so it didn't take too long.  There were perfect and so yummy.  I would love to know some of your favorite Christmas comfort foods.  Merry Christmas!



Merry Christmas & be blessed beyond measure,
~ashley

1 comment:

  1. Yum. I love me a cheese straw. I really love Edgar's, but I'm not paying 40cents for 1 cheese straw.

    ReplyDelete

Pin MOJ to Pinterest

the reason I do what I do

the reason I do what I do
this is us on our family vacation.

Search Measure of Joy

Where the MOJ reader are...

Locations of Site Visitors Do you want your own mapcounter? go to www.maploco.com