Thursday, November 3, 2011

Because I'm the Mom

Ok, this is going to be somewhat of a rant.  I have started wondering who is taking the time to actually raise their children.  Do parents not realize what their children are doing?  I amazes me!  It's a lot of work being a parent, but when did setting boundaries, and prying in your child's life become something that was bad.  Why is saying no so hard for some parents.  Why do we want to give our kids everything when they're too young to understand the meaning or worth behind it?  See, I told you I was ranting.

I am not my childrens' friend, I am their parent.  My kids have friends & they happen to be the same age as they are, and I have friends that are the same age as me.  If I sound like I don't love my children, nothing could be farther from the truth.  They are most precious to me, and I thank God everyday for Him allowing me the honor of being their mommy.  Because I place value on them, I want to equip them for anything the world may throw at them.  I want to raise them to love the Lord and follow His ways first.  Now I have noticed, that as they are getting older our relationship is changing, and there is a mutual friendship growing.  I am far from being a perfect mom, but I hope my 4 realize that Hopson & I are relying on God to help us raise them to be the best people they can be.

One example is Facebook.  I will scroll through from time to time & and am amazed at what some of the teenagers are posting.  It's crazy and shocking.  When my children became old enough, in our household, to have a Facebook account, guess who was their first friend?  You got it...me.  I will check everything they post if I feel like it, whenever I feel like it.  If there is something questionable, we will talk about it & what do they think the right choice is.   (after all, we want them to learn how to make the correct decisions by themselves.)

If you're not checking your child's FB account, cell phone, iPod, laptop or iPad if they have one, their car if they're old enough to drive, wallets, purses, rooms, closets, drawers, cabinets, and anything else I'm leaving off the list, you are not doing your child justice.  Children want boundaries.  They want to be secure that you are going to keep them safe.  I want my children to trust me that everything I do for them is for their best. 

Moms & Dads, please take the time to be the parent your child needs.  Your child doesn't need you as a friend until they are older, they need your loving guidance and wisdom that God has given you.  Don't be afraid, you can do it!  All you need is a lot of love, a little discipline, and wisdom that only the Lord can give. 

Thanks for letting me rant!!!
Y'all be blessed beyond measure,
~ashley

3 comments:

Pin MOJ to Pinterest

the reason I do what I do

the reason I do what I do
this is us on our family vacation.

Search Measure of Joy

Where the MOJ reader are...

Locations of Site Visitors Do you want your own mapcounter? go to www.maploco.com