Saturday, February 19, 2011

Pretty in Pink

I wrote this a few weeks ago, but for some reason want to publish now.  I would love to know your thoughts on this...

I have a slight bone to pick, but before I start my opinionated diatribe, (aren't you impressed I used the word diatribe?) you should know that I didn't read this woman's book; I could only read a few sentences of her article; and listen to a few minutes of her speech.  There is a mom who has written a book called: Cinderella ate my Daughter.  This mom claims that we have made our girls identify too much with the color pink; and I also understood her to say was that we are having our girls identify too much with Disney princesses.  I would respectfully disagree.

Ever since my daughter was born we have told her she is a pretty pretty princess.  We even had the game to prove it.  (the boys looked exceptionally nice wearing all the jewelry when they played the game with her.)  Some princesses wear pink, some may wear purple, others may even wear leopard print.  Pink is only a color.  It has no power over my daughter, because her identity is not founded in a color.

As I was thinking about what this woman said I started to ask myself, why do I tell my daughter she is a princess & what are the expectations placed on her because of that?

First, my daughter is  princess.  Because she has accepted Christ as her Lord & savior, she now belongs to Him.  Romans 8:17  "Now if we are children, then we are heirs—heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory."  If Christ is King of Kings, than that makes all His children princes & princesses.  No matter what anyone says, they can not take this distinction away from any who belong to Him.

As far as everything turning pink:  softball bats, gloves, bikes, helmets, etc, I think it's to remind our girls that they can do anything, but they shouldn't forget the feminine part of who they are.  (Plus, a pink softball bat is so much prettier than a silver & grey one.)  If my daughter wants to be a hand surgeon or a homemaker I don't care, but I want her to do what God has called her to do.  We are all equal in God's eyes, but boys and girls are different, and I think it's time we celebrate the differences.  I don't want my sons made feminine & I don't want my daughter made masculine. 

Now being a princess does not come without responsibilities.  A princess must be loyal to her King.  She must be willing to serve Him with honor, and be willing to share the love of her King with others.  Micah 6:8  "He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God."  What a prayer for my princes & princess.  May they always feel the love of Christ in their lives & know that they belong to Him.  May they 'act justly, love mercy, and walk humbly with God.'

May you be blessed beyond measure,
~ashley

2 comments:

Pin MOJ to Pinterest

the reason I do what I do

the reason I do what I do
this is us on our family vacation.

Search Measure of Joy

Where the MOJ reader are...

Locations of Site Visitors Do you want your own mapcounter? go to www.maploco.com