Saturday, February 12, 2011

Dinner & a Movie

Does anyone remember when the classic movies only came on once a year?  The Sound of Music, The Wizard of Oz, and Gone with the Wind were the big three.  On these days my mom made it like a special occasion.  Momma would make a special dinner and we were allowed to eat in the den & watch the movie.  It was a HUGE deal.  For all you Gen X'ers this was way before DVDs and movie channels.  We actually had to get up to change the handful of channels we had on our tv.

My mom would always make spaghetti on these nights and we would have a salad with it.

I'm sitting here in the den, by myself, watching Gone with the Wind.  I'm thinking that Rhett Butler is still a  handsome rake, and I'm watching how Scarlet flirts and manipulates all those around her to get what she wants.  But most of all I'm remembering a time when my family would stop and enjoy hanging out together and watching a classic.

What would I give to have a day back.  Rhett says "waste makes me angry, and that's all this is, is sheer waste."  I feel like that sometimes.  I remember the times I wasted, and the times I was selfish.  I guess that's one of the major lessons I learned early in my life.  Live each day as if it's your last, because once it's gone you can't get it back.  I know that sound trite and overused, but it's so true.

I hope you and your family will have a special time together with dinner and a movie.

Be blessed beyond measure,
~ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin MOJ to Pinterest

the reason I do what I do

the reason I do what I do
this is us on our family vacation.

Search Measure of Joy

Where the MOJ reader are...

Locations of Site Visitors Do you want your own mapcounter? go to www.maploco.com