Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Love, Laughter, and Memories

There are lots of things in my life that I have had to learn at an early age.  I just had my 39th birthday 2 days ago.  I don't feel 39, I don't feel 29, there are days I think I should be back in high school. (I'm so gald I'm not though!)  I had a very scary epiphany after my 25th birthday; I realized my own mortality.  I became an orphan 4 days later when my mother passed away at the age of 49.  My father passed away 5 years earlier at the age of 44.  Part of my bucket list is to live past the age of 50.  Because of my parents passing away at such young ages, I took a hard look at myself. 

What I found was the need for love, laughter, and memories.  I know God said in 1 Corinthians 13 that 'the greatest of these is love', for a reason.  Love is the marrow of life.  When I let God's love flow through me, not only are others blessed, but I am too.  Laughter lightens your spirit and "increases your face value".  (that's from Steele Magnolias, one of the greatest movies of all time!  I cry every time I watch it.)  Memories...so important.  Memories are passed down from one generation to the next and help to link us to those who have gone before us.  Memories made with my family are my favorites.  That is one reason I have started this blog, so my children will have a written diary of my memories.  I'm a much faster typist that writer, plus I can edit my posts easier.

We went to the Auburn/Ole Miss game this year, and while in Oxford we stayed with my in-laws.  Peggy, or GiGi as we call her, has some great cookbooks.  I love to read them, as you already know.  While we were hanging out one night I found a new cookbook she was given as a gift.  It is one of the best ones I've seen in a long time.  The recipes are the kind I love:  easy to follow; not too many ingredients; and no weird ingredients.  But the best part of the book are the stories in it.  I was laughing so hard I was crying.  The name of the cookbook is:  Somebody Stole the Cornbread from My Dressing.  If you have a new cook, an old cook, a southern belle, a yankee doodle dandy, or a hard to buy for person, I highly recommend this cookbook.  They won't be disappointed!  Too funny.

As we approach the new year, may you remember only the good, and leave the bad behind.  I pray for you all to have a wonderfully blessed 2011, and that your year is filled with deep abiding love, belly splitting laughter, and the happiest of memories.

Be blessed beyond measure,
~ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin MOJ to Pinterest

the reason I do what I do

the reason I do what I do
this is us on our family vacation.

Search Measure of Joy

Where the MOJ reader are...

Locations of Site Visitors Do you want your own mapcounter? go to www.maploco.com