Thursday, December 23, 2010

The Cooking has Commenced

I know so many of you are like me, scurrying around your kitchens making sure all your goodies are made for Christmas.  I'm so glad that I'm not the baker of my family.  My sister and mother-in-law are great at baking.  You have to have precision to bake, and I don't measure, almost never.  Amy is baking all the sweet goodies & I'm doing most of everything else. (Well I am making a caramel pie, but that is just simmering sweetened condensed milk for 4 hours, nothing too hard there.)

Yesterday I worked mostly on what we're going to be eating Christmas morning.  I like to have a lot of different foods that we can eat on all day.  (I'm a little selfish & don't like to cook on Christmas day.)

I'm including one recipe with this email and will include others later.  The one thing we have to have at both Thanksgiving and Christmas is homemade mayonnaise.  This is my grandmother's recipe.  I remember when I learned how to make it, I think I used at least 1/2 a dozen eggs getting it right.  The one key is that you make it when it is sunshiney outside.  Don't try to make it when it's cloudy, it will fall.  And don't use a knife to get it out of the bowl.  And don't let your brother-in-law use a spoon to stir it up before you serve it...I almost had a coronary.

I know you may be thinking it's gross, but I have to tell you if you like lemons, you're going to love homemade mayo.  My MeMaw used to make tomato sandwiches with homemade mayo with salt & pepper...heaven on earth.

Well, I need to go, I have some cheese straws that need to come out of the oven.  Again, my MeMaw's recipe.  I wish she was still alive so I could tell her how much I appreciate all the work she used to put into all the goodies she would bring us, it really was a labor of love, and I'm happy to pass it on to my children.

Sending you all many heartfelt blessings for Christmas!
Be blessed beyond measure,
~ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin MOJ to Pinterest

the reason I do what I do

the reason I do what I do
this is us on our family vacation.

Search Measure of Joy

Where the MOJ reader are...

Locations of Site Visitors Do you want your own mapcounter? go to www.maploco.com