Thursday, February 16, 2012

It Just Needs Less Beans

I have been craving red beans and rice for the last few days.  I get on kicks and I can't help it...I must eat that food.  It's great when I'm craving cucumbers, not so great if I'm craving chocolate.  Oh well, you win some and you lose some.  I've been singing the beans and rice song from when I was a child.  It's bouncing around in my melon & won't stop! 

I love the Red Beans and Rice soup at Newk's restaurant.  It is low in calories but full in flavor.  I decided to see if I could find the recipe online.  No such luck.  I searched and searched for decent recipes, but couldn't find one that sounded right.  There was one that had a ton of bacon, a ham hock, and sausage.  (the calorie and fat count was off the charts)  So I took the ones I did find, and of course tweaked them to fit my tastes.  Heaven forbid and cook anything according to the recipe.  I would get an 'unsatisfactory in following directions' when it comes to cooking.

I needed a quick dinner last night because I had a meeting at 5:30, and I didn't get home until after 4.  Red Beans and Rice it was!  Now my rb & r has turkey kielbasa in it.  Gotta get in some protein.  If you like sausage, but not the fat, try the turkey, it's good.

I arrived home from my meeting at 9:15, a little sleepy, and a little hungry.  As I was eating my dinner I asked Hopson what he thought, and he said that it just needed less beans.  What?  It's red beans and rice.  It is supposed to have a lot of beans, otherwise it would be rice with sausage, onions, and bell peppers.  Silly Hopson.  The children liked it, and I liked it.  My kitchen still smells like it, so I may be having some for breakfast!  Yum.  :)

Y'all be blessed beyond measure!
~ashley

PS~I also made a pretty easy dessert last night.  Here's the recipe:

1 Large box Chocolate Pudding
1 Small box White Chocolate Pudding
1 Large container Marshmallow fluff
Graham Crackers

Mix together 1 large box chocolate pudding and 1 small box white chocolate pudding (both sugar free) according to the box for pie directions

In a Pyrex dish:  put a layer of graham crackers in the bottom
                           spread the marshmallow fluff on top of the graham crackers
                           pour the mixed and set pudding on top of the fluff
                           top with another layer of graham crackers

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin MOJ to Pinterest

the reason I do what I do

the reason I do what I do
this is us on our family vacation.

Search Measure of Joy

Where the MOJ reader are...

Locations of Site Visitors Do you want your own mapcounter? go to www.maploco.com